Raising the Standard in Massage Education
Academy for Massage Therapy Training is dedicated to offering the best massage therapy anywhere. It all starts with how well we do in the classroom.
- First, students complete a minimum of 250 hours of classroom instruction, where they are challenged to develop and refine their technical skills in massage. In addition, the students must complete rigorous coursework including the study of human musculoskeletal anatomy and physiology.
- Second, upon completion of all classroom work, students must pass two practical examinations where they must demonstrate to certified massage instructors expertise in not only relaxation massage, but deep tissue massage as well. Deep tissue massage is what we specialize in.
- Third, many of our students opt for advanced coursework, where they can learn additional therapies and skills such as trigger point massage, facials, body wraps, and people skills.
- Finally, the feedback that you give as massage guests is extremely helpful to build the skills and confidence of each student. We ask that each guest complete a quick, simple evaluation form at the end of each session.
Academy for Massage Therapy Training offers all the resources required for an effective and enjoyable learning experience. We have spared no expense to provide for you the most advanced, attractive, comfortable and learning conducive environment. The investment we have made in our facilities and equipment demonstrates how serious we are about your education. We are a fixture in South Texas and we are here to stay…for you.
Our superior facilities encompass over 10,000 square feet of state of the art amenities including:
- AMTT’s unique Day Spa offers amenities superior to many up-scale day spas including: two wet rooms, four Vichy showers, six private whirlpool tubs, comfortable massage therapy foot rejuvenation stations, and seventeen private massage therapy rooms. Each of these rooms is specifically designed to provide an “escape” for your clients and include comfortable, professional grade massage therapy tables, hot towel warmers, soft lighting, and relaxing music.
- Our Massage Therapy Lab includes 18 late-model, top of the line Oakworks brand massage therapy tables and related accessories, so that you may learn massage therapy on the best equipment available. This lab is specially designed to create a peaceful environment conducive for learning the art of massage, including relaxing music, lighting, and ambiance.
- Our expansive Lecture Classroom with comfortable seating for 60, cutting-edge audio visual equipment, computer aided, easy-to-follow presentations for all lecture lessons; 3-dimensional anatomical charts, and life-size skeletons to enhance your learning experience.
We are extremely proud of the faculty and staff at AMTT. Each faculty and staff member brings a very special and unique insight to your training. Our instructors pour their hearts and souls into the training that is provided for you. They are very much concerned with and dedicated to you and the training that you receive. It is the goal of every faculty and staff member to give you all of the skills necessary to not only pass the state board, but also to help you become a successful massage therapist.
Each instructor is:
- A graduate of AMTT.
Our methods, techniques, philosophy and approach to the art and science of massage therapy is so unique and cutting edge it requires a solid foundation in the learning styles and teaching methods used that can only be fully comprehended when discovered as a student.
- A practicing massage therapist.
In order to be able to relate real life experiences to students, instructors must keep their skills sharpened through providing regular massage therapy.
- Required to complete at least 12 hours of continuing education each year.
In addition to providing massage, advanced training is a key way that instructors can continue to enhance their skill. Students benefit greatly from the new information and techniques their instructors learn.
MEET OUR INSTRUCTORS
- Esther M. Nail, LMT MTI Founder & Owner.
Esther teaches Massage Technique, Internship, Pre-Natal, and Seated (Chair) massage. Esther successfully built her massage therapy practice to include numerous physician referrals. She has also had extensive training in soft tissue mobilization techniques, myofascial techniques, sports massage and neuromuscular therapy.
- John Durland, Lmt, MTI, AHA CPR/First Aid Instructor, Director of Education.
John is a graduate of AMTT and now serves as an instructor. His demeanor, effective presentation style and experience allow him to convey information in a down-to-earth and enjoyable manner. John teaches Health & Hygiene, CPR & First Aid, Anatomy and Physiology, Pathology, Kinesiology, Hydrotherapy, Business Practices and Professional Ethics, Clinical Internship, and Massage Technique.
- Jerrod Votion, LMT, MTI.
Jerrod teaches all curriculum subjects: Health & Hygiene, Anatomy and Physiology, Pathology, Kinesiology, Hydrotherapy, Business Practices and Professional Ethics, Clinical Internship, Massage Technique, & Continuing Education.
- Oscar Cardenas, LMT, MTI, MMT.
Oscar teaches all curriculum subjects: Health & Hygiene, Anatomy and Physiology, Pathology, Kinesiology, Hydrotherapy, Business Practices & Professional Ethics, Clinical Internship, Massage Therapy, Continuing Education & Medical Massage.
- Alma Sauceda, LMT, MTI.
Alma teaches all curriculum subjects: Health & Hygiene, Anatomy and Physiology, Pathology, Kinesiology, Hydrotherapy, Business Practices & Professional Ethics, Clinical Internship, Massage Therapy, & Continuing Education.
The state of Texas requires a minimum 500-hour course of instruction for licensure as a massage therapist including the following subjects: Massage Therapy Technique, Anatomy & Physiology, Kinesiology, Health & Hygiene, CPR & First Aid, Hydrotherapy, Business Practices, Professional Ethics and Massage Therapy Law and a Clinical Internship. This coursework is fundamental to providing effective massage therapy to the public and preparing you for your licensing examination. In addition to the 500 hour course, AMTT also offers a 570 Hour Program. In the 570 hour program, you will gain the experience of 70 additional internship hours, and get more one on one experience with AMTT clients!
Academy for Massage offers the most innovative, comprehensive massage program available. What we teach is what is in demand and the most effective hands down. Our program includes the following core subjects:
- Massage Technique – 200 Hours: This subject allows us to teach the art of massage therapy. We begin with basic Swedish Massage strokes and gradually work students into providing a wonderful relaxing massage. Additionally, we incorporate our trademark WorkSmart method of massage from day one. The goal of this subject is to impart the science and art of massage therapy to every student to provide a relaxing massage, taking into account the fact that every client is an individual and has individual needs in their massage.
- Health & Hygiene, CPR & First Aid – 20 Hours: Students will study and understand indications and contraindications to massage, the effects of stress, the benefits of massage, the importance of proper body mechanics, disease recognition and understanding, and the importance of good personal hygiene practices.
- Anatomy, Physiology & Kinesiology – 125 Hours: Understanding the structure and function of the human body with an emphasis on the muscular and skeletal systems is of utmost importance for the skilled massage therapist. We utilize animated video, exercises, and class projects to help students better comprehend the structure and function of the human body. Additionally, our customized textbooks are specifically designed for students of massage therapy and correspond with full-color, animated presentations used in class.
- Hydrotherapy – 20 Hours: Students will learn to use hydrotherapy in a safe and effective manner through demonstrations and hands-on practice. Types of hydrotherapy to be discussed include: whirlpool, hot and cold packs, paraffin, steam, body wraps, body scrubs, Vichy showers, and facials.
- Business Practices & Professional Ethics – 45 Hours: From advertising practices to maintaining your zeal for massage therapy, this dynamic and insightful course will equip you to build a massage practice you can be proud of and in which you can enjoy. In addition, we will discuss in detail the scope of practice for massage therapy, laws pertaining to massage therapy and all businesses in general.
- Pathology – 40 Hours: Pathology is the study of human disease and the effects of the disease. This information is important to the massage therapist because there are conditions where massage would require caution or perhaps not recommended.
- Clinical Internship – 120 Hours: Your clinical internship will be the most rewarding part of your massage therapy education. You will complete internship in our Day Spa, providing massage and spa services to our very well established clientele.